Tonight, I decided I wanted to get started on backriveting the stiffeners. First, I had to finish edge prepping them, and get them primed. Here are my edge prepping tools for these stiffeners.
After getting a few of them prepped, I went ahead and started priming.
Here’s the right skin, ready to accept the stiffeners.
At first, I tried this backriveting extra long double offset rivet set I got from Avery. I don’t really like this thing. With the pressure turned all the way up to 50 psig, the rivets weren’t really setting well, and the plastic sheath was marring the stiffeners.
Although the results are good, I ended up switching to another set.
Then I switched sets to a large7/16″ cupped set, which worked well to keep the set (with no plastic sheath) on the rivet as it was being driven, but left some of them with a little bit of a rounded edge. I’m sure this is okay, but need to have someone come look at it.
Here’s a better shot. They are okay, but not perfect.
I managed to get through 4 stiffeners before I started getting tired and went to bed.
I pulled the tape off of the exterior side…these look really good. I am excited to maybe polish the rudder so you can all admire my work.
1 hour today, 50 rivets. Wuhoo!