A few days ago I got a little time in on the project. I’ll see if I can remember what happened. 3 hours, 116 rivets…2 of them drilled out and reset. Here we go. First thing, in preparation for stiffener riveting was to get the skin devinyled. Here’s my devinyling table, wooden stick (won’t dissapate heat) and permanent marker.
After devinyling the inside of the right elevator skin.
Here’s the outside of the skin after devinyling. This actually takes a long time to do.
At some point last weekend (can’t remember which day), I was sent to Home Depot (maybe Lowe’s…it was a busy day) to grab some gardening supplies. I took the opportunity to grab some indoor/outdoor carpet for the workbenches.
You should be able to see the “workbench”‘ with carpet on it in future pictures. Anyway, I grabbed the skin and did some deburring (interior and exterior) and some scuffing (interior only, for priming).
After a few more minutes, I dimpled the skin (no pictures, sorry), and then decided they were ready for priming.
i got the picture order backwards, so you’ll see the skin primed later, but here I am getting ready (or just finishing) stiffener edge prep. I usually use my Permagit block to knock down any ridges, edge deburring tool (pictured below) to chamfer both edges, and then a scotchbrite pad to smooth everything out.
Here’s the picture of my primed skin.
After the stiffener edge prep, the stiffeners got taken inside to be washed with dawn detergent.
I decided to take a picture of how much detergent I use. Nothing really important, just camera-happy, I guess.
After cleaning, they go back outside for priming.
While those were drying (and then flipped and sprayed on the other side), I placed rivets in the dimpled holes and taped them in place.
I started to backrivet, and everything was going very smoothly.
More beautiful shop heads.
But anyway, I got through all 116 rivets, then flipped everything over and saw these!
I figured out why this happened, and it falls squarely on me.
While I was dimpling, I didn’t pull the other half of the skin back well enough, so the skin side that was being dimpled was not sitting parallel to the faces of the dimple dies. One side of the die dented each of the last stiffener rivet holes on one side. The rivet in the second to last picture was flush against the backriveting plate, but the skin was dented, or above the backriveting plate.
I’m going to drill out all of the bad rivets on the trailing edge (of course, the worse of the bunch is on the top of the elevator, right where all of you are going to come look at my elevators), and then try to smooth out the skin by backriveting it with a flush set from the inside out.
It might ruin the skins, which will be expensive. I’ll be sure to take some pictures of the process. Maybe it will save one of you some time and frustration…