Well, we had a great day today. Taylor was coming over for our usual family dinner on Sunday night, and I conned him into coming over at 4pm instead of 6pm.
A few small things on the list before starting to close up the right wing.
First, I had Taylor start on the deburring and dimpling of all the ribs and rear spar.
In the meantime, I got the hammer out and continued using the c-frame to finish dimpling the inboard skin.
Taylor and I traded (to help with the boredom of deburring), and I sent him outside to prime.
Then, I clecoed the flap hinge on the flap brace and countersunk the flap brace. There is absolutely NO guidance here on how to finish the three layers (flap brace, hinge, and lower skin). I followed the same process as I did on the actual flap. Dimple the skin, countersink the flap spar, and don’t touch the hinge. Worked well, here, too.
Last up, I needed to run some string down my snap bushings for future wiring.
I used a long piece of hinge pin, and taped some string through it.
Finally, with nothing else to do (after thoroughly cleaning and inspecting each bay), we started clecoing on the skin.
We carefully reread the directions to make sure we were going to rivet in the right order.
1) Rivet along the rear spar toward the tip (for one “bay”) and halfway forward along the rib.
2) Start on the second bay in the same manner, then come back and finish the first rib to the front spar.
We only had 5 minutes left until dinnertime, so we got the first 6 rivets of the first (inboard) rib squeezed.
I need to do a lot of blog reading to really feel comforatble proceeding in the right order.
4.0 hours. 6 rivets.
Oh, and then for dinner, these are tomato, spinach, and feta stuffed burgers.
With homemade pasta salad and some grilled asparagus.